First-Time Home Buyers
If you are a first-time home buyer, use the guide below for helpful hints and tips and learn how to avoid common mistakes when buying your first home in the Westfield NJ Area.
- Pre-Approval: While knowing how much you can afford is the first step, sellers will be much more receptive to potential buyers who have been pre-approved. You'll also avoid being disappointed when going after homes that are out of your price range. Please keep in mind that you cannot submit an offer on a home without it being accompained by a pre-approval letter.
- List of Needs & Wants: Make a list of your needs and wishes (wants). Wishes are things you would like to have (pool, den, etc.) but that are not absolutely necessary. Realistically for first-time buyers, you probably will not get everything on your wish list, but it will keep you on track for what you are looking for.
- Representation by a Professional: Consider hiring your own real estate agent, one who is working for you, the buyer, not the seller.
- Visualize the house empty & with your decor: Are the rooms laid out to fit your needs? Is there enough light? Don't fall in love with the seller's furniture or other belongings.
- Be Objective: Instead of thinking with your heart when you find a home, think with your head. Does this home really meet your needs?
- Be Thorough: A few extra dollars well spent now may save you big expenses in the long run. Don't forget such essentials as:
- Include inspection & mortgage contingencies in your written offer.
- Have the property inspected by a professional inspector.
- Request a second walk-through to take place within 24 hours of closing. You want to check to see that no changes have been made that were not agreed on (i.e. a nice chandelier that you assumed came with the sale having been replaced by a cheap ceiling light).
All the above may seem rather overwhelming. That is why having a professional represent you and keep track of all the details is highly recommended. Please contact us directly to discuss any of these matters in further detail.